Better Sleep, New You
You are reading this at 3 a.m. because you can’t sleep again. You wake up most mornings feeling non-refreshed. You feel moody, irritable or poor concentration during the day. You snore or suffer from restless legs syndrome, have nightmares or simply don’t sleep well at all for whatever reason.
If any of the above scenarios felt familiar to you, know that you are not alone. Research studies show that approximately 25% of people suffer from some form of sleep disorder. Yet, sleep deprivation can impose detrimental effects on individuals and the people around them.
The good news is there are a variety of relaxation techniques you can use to help you release stress and anxiety from daily life. These are especially effective when used in tandem with a healthy lifestyle and good sleep hygiene. You may even need a sleep study to evaluate for a sleep related breathing disorder which is a common cause for interrupted sleep.
Here are 5 tips to improve sleep hygiene and be on your way to better sleep.
- Go to bed at the same time each night and rise at the same time each morning.
- Make sure your bedroom is a quiet, dark, and relaxing environment, which is neither too hot or too cold.
- Make sure your bed is comfortable and use it only for sleeping and not for other activities, such as reading, watching TV, or listening to music. Remove all TVs, computers, and other “gadgets” from the bedroom.
- Avoid large meals and alcohol before bedtime.
- Avoid napping during the day. It can disturb the normal pattern of sleep and wakefulness.
- When you get quality sleep on a regular basis you will feel more refreshed.
- Have clearer thought processes and energy.
- Feel more upbeat and reduce your risk for serious illness and accidents.
All of the above are attainable goals. So please take the time to pursue this site and learn more about good sleep habits and more. Here’s to a new year full of vitality.
Your sleep expert and creator of Reboot Repair Rebirth, a doctor’s gentle but powerful advice on how to take your life back.