1. How many hours of sleep should I get?
The American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) and the Sleep Research Society (SRS) have issued a new recommendation; saying seven is the magic sleep number for most healthy adults.
A third of the population doesn’t get enough sleep. Either our busy lifestyles keep wake us up early in the morning or keep us up at night. But setting aside at least 7 hours of sleep can keep you more alert during the day.
People who are recovering from sleep debt or battling illnesses, and younger adults need closer to 9 hours a night.
- 2 years of age – About 12 hours (with one nap included)
- 5 years of age – About 11 hours
- 10 years of age – About 10 hours
- Adolescence – About 9 hours